Wednesday 9 October 2013

Fireplaces and Tiles




A selection of the tiles which we put behind the Esse stove in the kitchen.  Rosy made some of these in Cindy's studio, but the majority of them were made by Cindy.  Nicky and I glued them on the wall, and I'm sorry to admit that we still haven't done the grouting.   We also have tiny ones behind the kitchen sink.  They are the only tiles I like;  none of the bathrooms have tiles anywhere.





This photo is looking down from the upstairs balcony.






 Rosy and James King keeping warm next to the Esse stove.  We brought this wood-burning stove in from England, and it works magnificently.  The steel pipe goes up through the upper storey landing, and through the roof.  Initially, we had trouble with smoking, and we found that if any window upstairs was open, even just a crack,  the chimney smoke would be  drawn into the house.  However, by extending the exterior chimney so that it is higher than the highest apex, the smoking problem went away.

In the winter months Nicky and I bring our chairs up close to this stove, and it makes a wonderful welcome when we have friends round.  I find myself looking forward to a wet and cloudy morning so that I can get it lit before breakfast.  I have baked bread and cakes in it,  and roasts.  Somehow it gives cooking a new meaning altogether.  There are three ovens, the top right being the hottest, the one below that the medium oven, and the one below the firebox is the coolest.

It really is the heart of the house.




Cindy and Sam!

No comments:

Post a Comment